lundi, juin 20, 2005

Deep thoughts with a side of popcorn

After that picture-fest, we're now back to our regularly scheduled programming, meaning- MOI, meaning- you have to listen to MOI talk. So there.

Do you want to hear something funny? The first time that it really hit me that I was going to France was when I was watching the Alias season finale with the lovely Emily. There was a huge cliffhanger and I got very upset that I would have to wait all the way until next season to find out what happened. It took about 30 seconds beyond that for me to realize- NOOOOOOO- I won't be here next season, and I think France is behind a season or so in Alias. This may seem really ridiculous, but I just thought it was funny that my realisation process was so deeply tied in with Alias. See? I am a spy! Wait, no I'm not. None of you heard or read that. Really.

Tonight I made real popcorn again, but this time with olive oil and pecorino cheese. Mes amis, it was really good. You should all eat popcorn like this, all the time. At least three times a day, four days a week. Because, well, I said so? Oh no wait, because it's good. There. Also this week I helped Jen cook birthday dinner for her boyfriend (why? because it was a family recipe, and because Jen's my friend and friends do random stuff like that for other friends) and then was sad when I remembered that I wasn't eating it. (note to Dad, who doesn't read this- thanks for the recipe!) I also had a great "awww cooking!" moment when Jen asked me to copy a recipe and I got to say, for the first time "well, it's sorta just in my head, but I'll write it out." Eat that, people!

I want to talk for a bit about being lonely. Not to be sappy, but because it's something I've been thinking about and talking about a lot lately. I have lovely friends who I wouldn't trade for all the nachos in the world, but I do still live by myself and am perpetually single (I know, I know, hard to believe- with this razor-sharp wit and stunning personality?). No matter how much time I spend with other people, I end up coming home to an empty house. This can be the greatest feeling in the world and there are times when it's all I want. No one can tell me to change the music, to stop grinding coffee beans so early in the morning, to stop taking such long showers, or to stop watching Pieces of April already. I've also learned to do everything I need to do around the place by myself, which is good. But quite often (more so lately) it just feels hard. I know that millions of other people feel this way and that no one can deny that being lonely isn't just a small thing. But in a world where so many of us do get lonely, how can lonliness be so ignored? When we go to the movies and watch someone on-screen who is alone and lonely and sad, we can bet that by the end of the movie said person will have magically "cured" their problem, probably by the timely appearance of a significant other. Why does no one end up alone in these things? There are people out there who are alone, and who aren't so fond of being constantly reminded of that fact. In a Eugene where I'm down to zero single girlfriends, I go out and am usually the only one going back to be by myself, watch tv, and am hit by commercials where the marketing ploy for a razor is "now you don't have to steal your boyfriend's!" I don't care about that, I have no boyfriend from which to steal- tell ME why I should buy your stupid razor. I think this is less about me being lonely and more about the fact that there are so many people out there who are alone, either for long periods of time or short, but who society trys to sell products to by reminding us how happy it will make our boyfriends or girlfriends or children. I don't deny that I'm bitter with my situation- but I'm also bitter with being shoved into a corner by societal expectations. I'm really that piece that doesn't fit. (ooh, except for Apple marketing- I think I fit in wonderfully with their ideas- come on people, my iPod is PINK). So boohoo, that was overly sad, let's move on, shall we?

Last night, after almost 2 years in this apartment, I realised that I could watch movies in bed by simply watching them on my laptop, which would have to travel the grand distance of 5 feet to accomodate this situation. Way to go Gina. I celebrated by watching Pieces of April (I know, I know, but with the commentary, and honestly? Only the second time since I purchased by own copy- and before that I hadn't seen it since January) aaaaand promptly falling asleep. Twice. I tell you, mes amis, they gave me a MA (sort of), but sometimes my lack of intellectual ability dazzles me.

Anyone out there want to do a mix cd exchange? Maybe a cd of songs that represent who you are, right now? The root of this is extremely selfish- I want pieces of all of you to take with me to Lyon. So friends? Family? People I don't know? Bueller? Bueller?

Ok, I think I'm going to attempt this movie-in-bed concept again. Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Of course I'll make you a CD. E-mail me your snail mail address and I'll try to send you one this week.

When exactly do you leave for France?

8:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm all over the music exchange.

And, G? If you spent five minutes making a list of all the social expectations that pressed upon you in a single day that didn't have to do with razors, you'd never get of bed. So, don't spend too much time thinking about it.

3:42 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home