mercredi, janvier 11, 2006

Of Ferris Wheels and France

Well party people, mes amis, it looks like I’ve really screwed up this time in the updating category. If there were an Oscar for worst performance by a blogging friend, I’d probably win (although perhaps beaten by my brother who seems to have FORGOTTEN how to use Blogger). I could give you milles excuses about lack of internet and having two jobs and blah-di-blah, but I’ll just skip that part and say that one of my New Year’s resolutions was to be better about this. And more concise. Wait- wasn’t at least one of those a resolution last year too? Merde. But anyways…

Forever ago I wanted to start a series of word-bytes about random things that happened here, in my traipsing from day to day. I still want to, but it would take forever to do that right now. And frankly, I don’t have forever, as I feel I’ve pretty well proven. I don’t have to write a book about every little thing that I do, but Sunday night as I was standing in Place Bellecour, watching the huge Ferris Wheel do its spiral-y light show and listening to Rilo Kiley (and hence feeling just a little bit like April, which is comforting) I realized that there are some things that I really do want to document, whether for you or just for me. Because, well, life here has been anything but boring.

As I said on New Year’s Eve, I never thought this is how I would finish up last year/start this year. If someone had told me last January that I’d say Bonne Année this year instead of Happy New Year I would have called you nutty and put the crazy hat on you. But ha! I would have been right! I mean, no, you would have been right. So I take back that ha. I was just about to wax sentimental, and even wrote and erased something, then figured out that it sounded stupid. I’ll say this instead- last Friday I was walking around an older part of town and stopped into a boulangerie. When I walked out with my baguette and croissant it was snowing. So there I was, walking along, eating a croissant, with snow in my hair and on my coat and all I could think was- I’m in FRANCE. I’m still here. And mes amis, I may never leave.