mercredi, février 15, 2006

Bisous from the Centre Oregon




Did you know that in France Valentine's Day is only for lovers, and that they've never heard of sending sparkly, glittery, overly-bright cut-along-the-edges cards to friends or classmates? Why France, why? During the aforementioned "craft apres-midi" I mentioned that I had thought about making cards for the entire Centre Oregon, but then realized that I didn't have that much patience. An hour later Mandee showed up and said "Why don't we make cards for the entire Centre?" And thus the Valentine bisous were born. And seriously, getting to work on Monday morning and telling Laurie that I would be spending the morning doing a kindergarten-esque craft that would count as work time was AWESOME. Plus, we got to use the glitter gell (applied with paint brushes). The idea for the cards came from Katie C., who once handed me a handful of Hershey's Kisses and said "Bisous!" (bisou means kiss in French). I probably responded with "It's funny cause it's true!" and giggled a lot. But still, how clever was that? Anyway, after a lot of cutting we finally got to the point of the activity- playing with glitter. And let me tell you, it was one of the highlights of my week, if not year (sort of, I'll tell you about better highlights later). Besides the fact that my desk is now covered in glitter and that the two of us had a fair dusting on ourselves... Wait, besides what? I'm not going to lie- it was awesome. It made me want to play with glitter everyday. Maybe twice a day. It made me miss Delta Psi door decs and the chapter room, and kindergarten. In that order? After decided against giving some to French people associated with our program who might not understand the tradition and who might not appreciate a glitter and marker covered wonder (people at the bank, mailroom friends, important people at Lyon 2, etc etc), we did at least get some to the good people at the Centre Pennsylvanie and the Centre Californie (and, of course, all of my kiddos at the Centre). Bisous!

ps- In the top picture you can see part of my desk, with Mandee waiting for the glitter to dry and observing Katie and a mostly-hidden Susan, clearly Facebook-stalking someone. Sadly, this is a daily occurence in the Centre. That and friending my little brother. I will NEVER be on Facebook. Never!