mercredi, novembre 24, 2004

lost in the library

Gina versus the library, round 548. Seriously, why do I only need the books that are heavy? Why why why? Ok world, I've gotten the picture, funny, haha- but enough already! Today included the incredible quest for the opera recording. Jules Massenet, you and I are SO no longer talking. I know that you died in, oh, 1915 or so, but still. We're over. To rewind and tell a story that maybe 2 of you will care about... I'm writing two of my papers on the book Manon Lescaut and the opera Manon (Massenet version). I've read the book and the libretto, but would like to listen to said opera too. Since, you know, it's an opera and all. Well, Mr. Massenet here decided to write a THREE HOUR opera. Which we only have on record. Do I really want to spend 6 hours in the library listening to this? Plus, how am I supposed to use records in my presentation? And which, apparently, Summit won't send me from another library that clearly has it on cd. To make this even more exciting, the stupid records are in the non-circulating collection, so I have to get a signature from my professor (Gina) to prove that I need the records for class (why would I want them otherwise? why? why?). I need to study the arias this weekend. But without a recording, I need to actually look at the music. Cut to me, in the library, checking out the FOUR HUNDRED page score to Manon. Once again, merci beaucoup Mr. Massenet. I almost lost it by the time I got to my lovely 3-hour class this evening. Sorry. I just find this all strangely ironic. Hmm, my computer is playing a song that I can only identify by the fact that it was on a Gap cd. I can still remember the order of songs on those stupid cds. And my goal to lead the entire store in the Locomotion on my last day (it was on the Baby cd). Sadly, none of us knew the dance. My other last day goals included: Telling a customer what I really thought, dancing on the cashwrap, and pushing entire piles of clothes of tables and then yelling "what are you going to do, fire me?" I don't think any of these things actually happened.

I get to give a test tomorrow. The day before Thanksgiving. Take that, people who didn't check the syllabus until last week. Then we're watching part of Les Parapluies de Cherbourg. Because I want to. And I'm the teacher. So there. Oooh, now the computer is playing Counting Crows, which reminds me of E, which reminds me of senior year and standing in the hallway in betwen our rooms with the doors open and hearing what sounded like a techno remix of Counting Crows. And making Buddy play "Hard Candy" at formal, because I was in charge and I could (and because E and I plotted the music list over fall break) And coffee. And Gilmore Girls. And knitting. And the pixie stix incident in front of my door. Sigh. Oh, the fruit bowling.

Good bye sanity, hello Thanksgiving weekend. Cooking, eating, working. Working. Working. Working. etc, etc, etc. Good night.

2 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

and beware of the oboe player! and that thing about oboes and contraception that E gave you! and thanksgiving with gina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who am i going to knit with all weekend? gahhhhhhhhhhh!

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Oh my goodness! The fruit bowling was rampent and I had forgotten all about it and the counting crows techno remix until you posted about both! I have absolutely no idea what Lauren is refering to in terms of oboes and contraception, please remind me, it sounds delightful. I miss coffee and knitting too! Coffee is permenantly attached to my right hand, but the knitting has slipped out of my life completely. I hope you had a Thanksgiving, G. Nebraska says hello!

Love,
e

2:56 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home