jeudi, juin 30, 2005

Long day! Tired! When it's "hot" here, meaning that it gets above 80, everyone seems to want to move a bit slower and take longer to do things. Even though I'm from Tucson, hot feels different here because most places aren't air conditioned as they are in the Southwest. So it's not as much moving from air conditioned-place to air conditioned-place as it is finding a place that's air conditioned at all. Today wasn't horrible, but I had to be outside a lot, so it felt a bit ucky.

Emily and I made a huge library run today. I call it trying to return the library to the library (as opposed to its temporary home in my apartment. You may remember the huge stacks of books that lived here for quite some time. These stacks are now greatly diminished, and there's lots more space under my tables and chairs. So all of you who were waiting for my French Renaissance texts (in Middle French!) to be returned, this is your lucky day! They're all yours! We also went to Dairy Queen and talked about Lyon. This made the heat feel better. Is that grammar all screwed up?


Two of my former students, who were in my class every term I taught except for one, had me over for dinner tonight. I didn't think I would have as much fun as I did. Unexpected fun is the best! And I didn't have to cook for the first time in a million bazillion years (approximate figure). It was also nice to walk home at 9:30 in the evening and have it not be totally dark. Don't worry mom, I took well-lit streets!

I'm listening to "Taking off for France" by Sarah Cracknell (off of the Kelly's Locker EP- I played it non-stop sophomore year of college and still love it), and it reminds me that I'm leaving in less than two months. I just emailed the travel agent to check on my tickets, and if all's well with that, then I leave on August 15th from Phoenix. This means that I also have about 2.5 weeks left here, which is another scary thing. Anyone want to buy my furniture? No, seriously. I don't want to move the furniture back and forth, it'll be easier to just move my things (clothes, shoes, books, shoes, kitchen stuff, clothes, shoes), so I need to sell it. Bah! Work! This could be more difficult than I anticipated.

The apartment I'm probably moving into in Lyon doesn't have an oven. But people apparently buy toaster-oven type things and use those. So I could bake small things. Hmmm. It's in a great location, the owners are nice, it has a terrasse, and I really want to live there. Marc! Should I take it?

Mike and I have decided that the iTunes "shuffle" is definitely not random. Mine favors ABBA, Belle and Sebastian, and the 6ths. Oh, and Mike left me with some cds to copy while he was here, and now those have also become the darlings of iTunes- the Chemical Brothers singles collection, and Pretty in Black by the Raveonettes. I get an odd mix. Right now it's playing "The Book of Love" by the Magnetic Fields (69 Love Songs, disc 1). It reminds me of how I wanted to talk about Stephin Merritt as a modern-day troubadour on my exams. But I didn't think anyone would understand the reference except for me. Still trying to locate a copy of "One April Day" from the Pieces of April soundtrack to avoid having to buy the whole cd, most of which I already own on other discs. Now I'm listening to "Ma ville est le plus beau parc" by Tryo. I think I'm going to skip to the next song. (Beach Boys, "Wouldn't it be Nice" to "Jakarta" by Future Bible Heroes to "Everything is Everything" by Phoenix to "Elevator Song" by Dubstar to "Cartoon" by Future Bible Heroes to "Caring is Creepy" by the Shins to "Only in Dreams" by Weezer to "Fiction" by Belle and Sebastian, where I stopped).

Aaaah! Weather bug is beeping! Oh, it'll be hot again tomorrow. Fun. Ok, I'm going to bed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Gina, don't buy "One April Day." It's the first track on your mix CD and I was hoping you didn't have it yet. And send me your address!(!!!)

12:23 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home