mercredi, février 15, 2006

Valentine's Day, mode d'emploi

You all know that I've hated Valentine's Day for quite some years now. Anyone else remember International Matt and Gina are Cool Day? Yeah, I thought so. Of course it was official- we had shirts and everything. God, I miss those shirts, especially the ghetto puffy painted ones. Anyways, store windows here are still filled with gooey red and pink things and I wanted to throw rocks at them, but I resisted. The commercial aspect of the day ultimately bothers me, as it always has. But still, major progress was made in the non-hating of the day. I've created a handy bulleted list for everyone to chart interesting things that happened.
*The entire day is made better if both you and boyfriend are sick, especially if he has told you that you'll be walking up the hill to Fourviere. (How much did I not want to leave my house? If it was socially acceptable I would have worn my pyjamas).
*I can make it up to Fourviere even when sick and tired, with only minor obnoxious interjections. (me- "We're taking the long way, aren't we? Why did we just pass les minimes?" )
*Alex has an insane ability to a) surprise me (example one- tell me we're going to someone's party and then take me out to dinner instead and not believe that I fell for it. ultimate example two- come back to Lyon on Christmas day to see me and trick me into going home so that he could surprise me) and b) remember things I've mentioned once, a long time ago (i.e. that I loved Indian food but never ate it in France).
*Glitter is still great for making cards.
ps- the view from Fourviere is, indeed, lovely at night.

Last night Alex also assured me that his parents will not kill me in my sleep, which has been a big fear of mine for the 3 weeks I've had to freak out about the upcoming visit. And by upcoming I mean we leave Friday. For someone who's never had to deal with meeting a significant other's family, a week seems like a long, scary time. In the middle of France! Awww shit. Who knows how internet will be, so you probably won't hear from me for a while. If it's two weeks, assume that my worst fears were realized.

ps- Did I ever even mention that I've been with this guy for almost 3 months? Whoops. I love you all anyway.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Sorry to hear that you were sick on Valentine's Day! I hope you are feeling better now.

Alex sounds like a really sweet guy. I wish you luck with the whole meeting-the-parents thing. Usually, the worst part is the waiting. I'm sure they'll love you.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Yeah for having a significant other!

Boo for not telling us more often!
Then again, yeah for not telling us more often, because I hate the word mushy, not to mention the overwhelming feeling of shivery ickiness that follows.

I might be saying that because my Valentine's Day was just another day of the week for me. And maybe... just maybe I would have been more receptive to you having a boyfriend if I had at least gotten laid that night or previous weekend.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Oh, wait...that was a few weeks ago, huh?

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

miss you! so sorry I've been a slacker when it comes to commenting, or emailing, or sending the christmas card that I finally found under the couch (bad kitty). a gazillion hugs to you!

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Have you eaten anything good lately? Please blog about food again, I love it.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

gina, it's been over a month now, i'm starting to get worried. :) it sounds like everything is going wonderfully though, i miss you tres beaucoup & i wish i saw you online more often.
but alas, you're in france, and i am jealous, but hey, it sounds like a good time! :)

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Oh, where or where for art thou Princess Pony Gina?

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

oh wait that's me!!!!!!!!!!!
it's been forever since you've posted, just waiting....;)

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

So now that it's May are you coming back stateside? or have you found a way to stay in France?

5:09 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home