mercredi, août 11, 2004

again!

Tomorrow I get to put my suitcase away until October! How exciting! I've loved traveling all over the place this summer, but it feels really nice to be in one place for a while.
I am so glad that I got the chance to go visit Mike in Pacific Beach. Thanks Mike for letting me crash with the marimba! I was able to meet the people he works with and get free advice from Hannes about arts education (aaaaand contact info in Chicago- job, anyone?) My awesome little brother is working with the La Jolla Music Society on Summerfest, their chamber music summer festival (as the name would imply). He's doing a great job as artist liason, handling (and sometimes, I think, babysitting) the over 70 artists wandering around the San Diego area for this thing. He also scored me tickets to the first three concerts, which were, of course, incredible. The first night was downtown with the San Diego Symphony. Until you have seen someone play the solo piano on Raphsody in Blue while conducting the orchestra, you have not seen that piece performed. Second night was at the normal venue, the Museum of Contemporary Art in La Jolla. John Adams = genius. His "John's Book of Alleged Dances" (originally written for Kronos) is played along with a tape track of prepared piano, which is difficult, but comes out in such a great, funky sound. Third night- Miami String Quartet. I've heard a lot of string quartets perform, but never one that sounded as tight as Miami. These people were meant to play together. Seriously, I now only want to own string quartet standards as played by them. There's so much more I could say about the concerts, but I don't want to get boring and drawn out. Maybe I'll post little things about them at later intervals.
San Diego itself was as wonderful as usual. Despite the constant presence of undergrads consuming mass quantities of alcohol, it was lots of fun. I "worked" on my thesis at Cafe 976, apparently the oldest building in town, where they play a great mix of trip-hop-y music. Sooooo good. Teehee.
I don't want this blog to get boring and just be me droning on. What should I do??? Maybe this should be a more audience-participation experience. Ideas, anyone? Post comments, please! Or email ideas. It'll be fun, I promise.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Okay...iiiiiiiiiit's COMMENT TIME!! First off, the name 'Summerfest' is pretty much a Milwaukee-thing, doancha know dere, hey? *wink* Also, do you remember who the pianist was doing Rhapsody in Azul whilst directing? We saw a similar concert here not long ago, so just wondering if it's the same guy perhaps maybe could be??

12:07 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home