vendredi, mai 13, 2005

and then there was celebrating...

Yes, it's me. Back from the exams. Yeah yeah yeah, so I finished on Tuesday afternoon- I was tired! And there were drinks to be had, and nachos to be eaten, and sushi to be made, and dude, it was the season finale of the Amazing!Race!

Now, for the celebration- WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did it! Done! Done! Done!

It's really hard to believe that those things are done- over six weeks of studying seriously paid off. I know, I have an MA essay to finish and a paper for one class, but really people, these exams have been my main stress and worry and freak-out point for a LOOOOOONG time. And I did it! 4 hours felt like 10 minutes each day. You just write and write and write. I won't bore you and tell you what my questions were, but suffice to say that I could have answered either each day. I felt like I actually knew things while writing them (and I still do now, it's not like the information fell out my ear or something). It looks like these two years of grad school have had some effect. Take that, grad school people! Wait... I'm so happy and proud and thrilled that these things are over. I was screaming with Eliana outside of Friendly hall on Tuesday when I walked out (first one done! well, for a day at least) and think I actually managed to disturb a class that had their window open (ha). I ran on adrenaline the rest of Tuesday (and even graded some tests), then felt completely wiped out yesterday- the tiredness caught up with me. Today I tried to do some research, but only succeeded in figuring out what I needed to do and getting the books (it's ok though, I did make progress) and then doing some stuff for my class. I had two great friends sub for me while I was gone taking exams, and Eli told me on Tuesday that my 203 kids were concerned about my well-being and hoped it was going ok- how sweet! This is why I have the best.class.ever. Oh god, I'm babbling! But it's so happy! See the pictures below for the flowers my parents sent me (wow! nice parents!) which are in fact the prettiest flowers I've ever gotten.

Speaking of things I got- hilarious email from one of my old Ripon French profs after I wrote saying I was getting ready to take exams. She not only called Romanticism "gooey" (which Emily and I do all the time, and now I feel justified), but said that Frederic, from L'education sentimentale deserves a slap in the face. Ha! Made my day, I'll say that. Also that if you forget a character's name, just make it up. Are you listening, future MA exam people? I tried to be completely serious with the essays, but the second day I needed some funny things. So there's a footnote about Hippolyte being attacked by a sea monster (true!) and funny ones where I have to admit that I've approximated titles for a Montaigne essay (hey, he wrote three books of them!) and a chapter of Defense et Illustration de la langue francaise (I almost got it). Oh, and another where I mention that Louise Labe basically spends all of her poetry regretting her lover, who is somewhere else. Ooooh, I just realized that I spent all this time earlier in the quarter reading all 180 Regrets by du Bellay and didn't.use.them.at.all. AAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I wonder if I could add an extra footnote, after the fact?

I really think that's it. I may take more pictures with the insane pile of books, because I think it's funny. This weekend will be nice for the sole reason that I don't have to go to campus and study. I am going to work at home! (for any work I do) WOOOOOO!!!!!! Ok, I'm going to sleep! sleep! sleep!