mardi, mai 03, 2005

Name that French 19th century literary movement!

The stress was getting to me, so I made cookies. Ha. And last night, I made soup. It took TWO HOURS (it was only after saying this that Justin said "oh, you mean you made it from scratch?" Why else would I have been so proud of soup? WHY?). But I now have, in the technical term of Emily, a "shitload" of soup, which means I don't have to cook for a bit. Go me. Go where, you ask? WHERE? Go crazy, I think.

April, you're great and I wish you were here so we could terrorize people together. Emily and Liz, I miss you. Lauren and Jenny, if there's ever another oboesontour reunion, I'll fly back from wherever I am to be in it. E, you tell me what bar to be at and when, and I'm there. Could we make it for after next Tuesday, please? Claire, ou es-tu? Est-ce que Chicago t'a mangee? And with that, Gina gets out of writing emails because she has become, in many respects, lazy. But in one respect not! (actually, in a few, but it would be less dramatic if I said that). In what respect? WHAT RESPECT? WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME THAT NOW?????? SHOULDN"T YOU KNOW PEOPLE??????????? AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO BE MY FRIENDS????? Ok, that's what we call overreacting. But seriously, EXAMS.

Did you know... (I don't care if you don't care, I'm going to tell you anway)
*The difference between the medievalism of Romantic (mid-19th) France and fin-de-siecle (end of 19th) France is that in the Romantic era they idealized the Middle Ages and used the themes that they found in this idealized version (which never really existed) to their own ends (new versions of Tristan et Iseult, revitalized interest in the Troubadours, etc) and in the fin-de-siecle they turned to actual Medieval objects (mainly Gothic cathedrals) and started talking about the specifics as opposed to the generalities of style.

*Racine and Moliere were both heavily influence by Italy, albeit two very different Italies. Racine followed the classic tragic style established by Aristotle and Horace in the Rome of Antiquity and wrote on classic Antique themes, mostly from Roman mythology. While the Roman empire was vast, it was centered in what today is Italy and the modern-day Rome. Moliere didn't follow these guidelines, but in many instances shows influence from the Italian Commedia dell'arte, which began in late 16th century Italy. He also shared a theatre with the Theatre des Italiens, the Italian theatre group of Paris in the 17th. His musical partner, Lulli, was Italian by origin. However heavy the Italian influence, both Racine and Moliere separated themselves from the Italian tradition to become the French canon of theatre. Examples- Brittanicus, by Racine, follows a young Nero, and ends in a traditional tragic style (people die, people are unhappy, blah). L'ecole des femmes, by Moliere, prominently features Arnolphe, an old man so in fear of becoming cuckholded that he raises a ward (Agnes) so that he can later marry her while she is still completely innocent and ignorant. In doing so, he becomes the stereotypical "old man" character of the Commedia dell'arte. George Dandin, also by Moliere, employs themes (shepardesses, musical interludes) made popular in previous Italian works.

So there. Quiz Gina! Ask questions that you never thought you'd need answers to! She might now! (note- it is more probable that Gina will know said answer if you base it off her reading list. Otherwise she might just make up some random answer)

Le iPod just went into "I'm a Vampire." That song always makes me think of Foreign Language Day last year, and the un-beatable Guignols. Why did we let Marc talk us into that? Will we ever live it down?

I just remembered that sink full of dishes. Maybe I should do something about that. Yeah. Then I could go to bed! And grade papers tomorrow! I've returned everything this quarter (including the big test) the next day, so they can wait 2 days for these compositions. Take that French 203! I did almost stick chalk in my eye today, though. I was distracted. Or just crazy. Actually, I vote for option 2.

Last question of the day- define this verb - Flauber. Cookie to whoever can!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

G! You make me feel normal! I also cook to avoid homework. This week I made manicotti and Oatmeal cookies. Love finals!

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Holy crap you really have gone crazy. At least there's an end in sight now. Oh oh!!! And now I understand the wonderfulness of the amazing race. Too bad I start watching at the end, but now I've been hooked for the past 2 weeks. Crazy!! Good thing the chalk didn't actually go in your eye or that woulda hurt a lot. Huggs!! You can make it (hopefully without anything being stuck in your eye or nose for that matter).

6:33 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home