mercredi, août 10, 2005

Shoes, glorious shoes!

Houston, on a un probleme. And what is said, probleme, you ask? Well, mainly, the mass quantity of shoes posessed by yours truly. If you know me at all, you know about my affinity for shoes. Some may call it an obsession. I call it a special interest. But this interest persists, and it's currently hindering the packing process. Now, I'm a great packer. A few weeks? A month? Even two months, I can do easily. Almostanentireyear? A bit harder. Now, normal people might not fret at how many shoes they'll need, but I do. Will it hurt a shoe's feelings if it gets left behind? And what if I leave a pair behind and then really need it? HELP! THIS COULD BE A REAL PROBLEM!!! But, at this time in a week I'll be asleep in my apartment in Lyon. Scary, isn't it? Me loose in another country. Danger Will Robinson, danger danger! I was finally able to access my reservation on britishairways.com- always good to know that I and my flights exist.

Last night, after milkshakes (lovely), Sarah (aka Sarita) and I saw possibly the worst movie ever made. I will not name it here for fear of spreading the evil, but it features J-Lo. At least we only payed $3. But really, we went in with no expectations at all, and were still dissapointed. Michael Vartan, how could you do this to us? Note that Sarah chose this movie, and that i have complete power over our next selection. In an effort to cleanse myself, I saw Bride and Prejudice tonight, with the mom and dad (back from his and Mike's cross-country adventure). I am biased because I a)love the director, who's name I cannot spell, but who did Bend it Like Beckham, b) I love Bend it Like Beckham, c)I love Bollywood and d) I'm a sucker for bright colors and songs and dancing. That said, it was very good. Fun, too. Even la picky mother enjoyed it. Dad didn't seem to know what to make of it, but said he liked it.

I was trying to explain blogging to the afore-mentioned bestest-friend-Sarita, and ended up telling her that for me, it's basically a group of friends that all have blogs or blog-type-things and read each others. Instead of emails, we comment. Thinking about it, I think that's very true. Sort of cool isn't it? At my best count we have April-writes-better-than-most-of-us-and-still-has-phenomenal-taste-in-movies, E's-getting-an-impressive-PhD-and-teaching-and-doing-more-interesting-things-in-Philly, Emily B-knows-a-lot-about-music-and-owns-more-cds-than-most-everyone-else-I-know, Liz-moved-to-Norway-but-is-coming-back-for-grad-school, Laura-actually-has-a-job-in-Chicago-and-is-still-ultra-cool-in-the-oboe-way, Erin-has-a-real-job-and-real-large-apartment-but-is-still-the-Erin-we-know-and-love, with occasional appearances from Emilee-all-grown-up, and Lauren-keeps-disappearing-but-is-still-my-little-sister. Anyone else to add? Phantom readers that know us too? Phantom other friends? Jenny, are you out there? Heather? Anyone? I guess this is the crazy we-went-to-Ripon-College group. Because no matter how far away you are, you always went to Ripon. And it's mostly a I-was-a-Delta-Psi group too (sorry Laura! ). Hmmm. Even if these are the only people that ever read this, I'm happy because it keeps us semi-connected. Technology!

I miss my Eugene friends. I am reminded of this when something happens like Emily telling me about her dream about ninjas. No, for real people. I'm glad I'm moving on, but wish I could take everyone with me in my pocket. But would they all fit in my pocket? And the people that left earlier, after first year. Why can't everyone I like just move together, in a group? Then my life wouldn't feel so separated and divided into definite parts that I never get to mix. And that's just no good. I want everyone to know everyone! Friends, meet my friends. So there.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

I read sometimes! Sadly I do not have a blog. One more thing I would forget to do...like e-mailing you. Oh I'm a bad friend. :( But I totally identify with the shoe problem. I'd probably need a whole suitcase of just shoes.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Well, I am entirely your opposite when it comes to shoes. I own three pairs that I alternate depending on the weather and/or what I'm wearing--sandals, sneakers, boots. And a few old ones I should throw out, but they don't count because I never wear them. Last fall, one of my professors (I forget the context of this) asked if there were any women in the class who owned less than six pairs of shoes. I was the only one who raised my hand. I can't make myself care about them, but I always think yours are cute.

I am totally on board with the blog-as-social device thing. I have a few readers I don't actually know, but not many.

And you write at least as well as me, if not better, by the way!

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

I read your blog G! And I have one too, although it on livejournal, not this site.
I am starting to accumulate more shoes...my mom keeps yelling at me for leaving them all over the house. :-) Have fun in France!!!

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Don't worry Gina, I've still got nothin' but love for the Delta Psis. Good luck with the shoe packing!

-- Laura

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

I'm here! Ok, wow and in response to all those shoes, damn. Just a few more and you'd have enough for a different pair a day. Oops. I probably shouldn't have said that.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I empathize with the why-can't-everyone-just-move-around-in-a-big-group feeling. I feel that way all the time. Like, I love Europe. So why can't all my best friends move here and we can always hang out together in a place I love?

But sadly, this cannot be. Only in my wildest thoughts. And I'm sad I can't get to visit you in Lyon, but I did think of doing it, which counts for something, right?

But this amputated feeling you have will not be lost once you move. I found that whenever I move away from my friends, it's then that I stay in touch with them more. When I'm at home, I'm terrible about contacting people. But when I'm far away, they always hear from me.

And as long as you have the person in your head and heart, then you're not really that far away, are you?

9:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glorious means Caterpillar shoes......No need worry....Enjoy with your shoes...Yeah!!!Glorious post...

6:46 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home