lundi, avril 04, 2005

The great iTunes shuffle game

(during this post I'm going to list the songs that come up on iTunes while I'm writing. I'll put them in parentheses, just like this. Except this is obviously not a song title.)
(Sloop John B.- The Beach Boys)

First off, the long-awaited answers to my pseudo-quiz- The two snow formals were the LDA spring 2000 formal (I know this because I was wearing a dress with a train- yes, a train, and I had to hold it up outside. Why was I wearing a dress with a train? Well, at the time, when I was 18, it seemed like a really good idea. Another interesting fact is that that dress has been to at least 2 other formals, worn by other people) and the Delta Psi spring 2001 formal (where I had to use an umbrella because the snow would've made my hair go curly, and I had just straitened it). E and Lauren disagree about whether it snowed at the spring 2002 Delta Psi formal, and I will settle this dispute by saying that it may have snowed at the begininning of the night. Oh wait- it totally did, because I said that it wouldn't be Spring Formal without snow. (Here's to you- Joan Baez) So there you go. As for winter formals, god, I think there was snow at most of them. April- I remember the bad shoes, but I don't remember when they happened! April gets extra points on this quiz (where the points don't matter) for remembering the special importance that the photocopier outside Great Hall had for the Yule Ball. I don't know how many pictures it features in, but the number is large. (Alright, Jamiroquai). Next question, mes amis- what other Gina-sponsored-event focused on a photocopier?

Well, that's taken care of. It's still hectic here, but a better, focused hectic. I've been reading every day, which can get annoying, but will be good in the long run (the long run being in 6 weeks). I have STILL not finished Les Regrets, because it NEVER. ENDS. I might just sit down this evening with lots of candy and make myself skim the rest. (Sweet Pea, Tommy Roe) Exam committee things are coming along quite nicely (because my committee head is the best. ever. really. best. ever) and the MA essay thingie should work out. Wow, hold ambiguous Batman. But really, if I explained it all then A) it would be really complicated and B) you'd all get bored and no.one.would.care. So there. So much work to get done, including job applications, but it'll get done. I am confident! And I submitted my application to graduate this afternoon!!!!!!!! Wow. Ok, so it was only an online form, but still. It means something. (Gotta be Right, Worlds Apart- wow, that's embarressing. Should I share the ones that you'll laugh at? Discuss)

As you may know, Friday was April Fool's Day (ok, as you know- how could you not know that it wasn't April Fool's Day? Unless you lived under a rock or something, and that's just uncomfortable). I've always tried to pull something, but because it's me and I laugh so easily, nothing ever works. Hoooooowever- this year was different. This year was special. This year I totally fooled my 27 students. Ha. Take that French 203! (no, not really- they're so sweet!, but it was funny). I had to give them a quiz anyway, so I just made a pretend one, with the first and third questions being sentences they could actually put into the passive voice, and the rest being entirely in Old French and Old Occitan. What do you mean you're not up-to-date on your medieval languages? The looks on their faces when they got to question 2 were great- I had them going for a really long time. (A Century of Elvis- Belle and Sebastian). They kept saying that they didn't understand, and all I'd say was "Guys, seriously, you know how to do the passive voice, start by finding the verb. Ha. Finally, someone raises their hand and says "Gina, can you translate number 2? I don't understand and I can't even find the verb!" Then Is tarted laughing and they got it. Ha. It's great because the sentences looked nothing like modern French, so their brains were totally confused. I then had to give them the real test, but since I brought them candy (Swedish Fish- in French the day is Le poisson d'avril, or, the fish of April), they seemed ok with it all. We all laughed, and I was proud of myself. Go me! Snaps for me!

Yesterday? Went to campus and worked. Last night? So fun. So much fun. If the pictures look decent, maybe I'll put some up. However, I am not yet sure of this. (Love almost faded, Real McCoy. Oooooooh. This game might be over soon) Ok, I just looked at the pictures, and some might make the cut. During the first part of the evening (at Larisa's birthday party at Oregon Electric Station- a restaurant guys, not an actual electrical place. Think of all fo the things I could break at a place like that), we were discussing the very-recent death of the Pope and what we thought about it. Cameron brought up an interesting point "I just have to think about how the Pope would feel if I died. What would he do?" We all laughed. (Alarm Call, Bjork- that's more like it). Actually, I laughed a lot. One of the sonnets of the Regrets that I read yesterday talked about cardinals being "papable" or "popeable"- able to be pope. Best adjective ever. Use that in a sentence and tell me about it. I also found out that I cannot apply to be pope, sadly. You all know that I'm not really religious or anything of the sort, but the Pope always seemed like a nice man, and he spoke a lot of languages and did some good stuff, so I do feel badly for his death. As important as i know it is, though, I wish that news programs would cover something else as well. It is news, but not the only news.

Mes amis, Michigan State lost. This is sad. Really sad. Did I already mention that Tom Izzo, the coach, is the brother-in-law of our old neighbors in Lansing? (If you leave me, Sarah Cracknell) Because he is.

The time has come (to talk of many things, nooo, not Alice in Wonderland)- to go back to work. And reading. And lesson planning- we're starting the "les voyages" unit tomorrow. I think I'm going to send myself and Eliana (or the finger puppets) on the Amazing Race as an example. Hee.

2 Comments:

Blogger ET said...

Isn't the other photocopier event the one where you and Josh decorated West Hall? I can't remember what the theme was but wasn't there Jesus involved? Or maybe I'm just on crack with that one... or both.. hmm...

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

The evil shoes were at the spring 2000 LDA formal too. They must have distracted me from the fact that it was snowing.

Michigan State is still alive in the women's NCAA tournament - they play Baylor for the title tomorrow night. I'd already decided I was rooting for them because they were the only ones in the Final Four without "Lady" attached to their team name. (Ordinarily I'm a UConn fan, but this year that was, um, not going to happen, so I had to come up with a fairly irrelevant reason to like someone else.) Now I'll add "and because Gina would want me to" to that reasoning.

1:12 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home