dimanche, novembre 14, 2004

Hooray for me

Hello again, fair blog world. Yeah, I'm horrible at this game, I know it. The stress of grad school has led me, until today, to abandon the blog for a while so I could, you know, do homework. And read. A lot. Who knew "Les Liasons Dangereuses" would be so good?
Anyways, obviously, a lot has happened. Lots of this things have made me ask "Dear world, what's with the screwing me over all the time?" I don't really want to talk about them. I don't think a public blog is the place for them, really. Or at least not all of them. Some you will be forced to hear about, either now or later (way to be specific there, Gina).
A lot of this stress has been caused by my perhaps-not-too-smart decision to take an overload schedule again. You know, at the beginning of the term this seemed like such a good idea. By the time I realized it wasn't, I already liked my classes so much that I didn't want to drop any of them, or change to pass/no pass. Ooh, I could gush forever about these classes. But I'll only gush about one of them- my 20th century lit class (Reality as Fragment). Finally, my 20th century class! I came here to study 20th century (surrealism, mostly) and was greeted upon my arrival by the departurn of the 20th century French prof (I don't do Francophone). Whoops. Hence all the medievalism in the past year. But this class has made it all better. Woooonderful texts- Surrealist Manifesto! Paysan de Paris! Desnos! Professor Guyot-Bender (simply put- best. ever. really.) actually gave us my favorite poem ever to read in class one day because she knew Desnos was my favorite. It's "A la mysterieuse", also known as "J'ai tant reve de toi." (no accents here folks, too complicated!) First surrealist poem ever read, first Desnos poem ever, still my favorite. Sigh. So beautiful. Reading it in class almost made me melt. You all would have laughed at me. I love this class to death even though she has just informed us that our final paper needs to be 18-25 pages long. Eep. Maybe that's the master's essay.
And now for something completely different... I also went home for Heather and Fed's wedding during my blog-ish absence. Whirlwind trip to Tucson (I actually missed school, wow) that ended up being very stressful, but also fun. Got to see Bestest-Friend-Ever Sarah, recently returned from her Peace Corps venture to Equador (guess how much room an un-vaccumed pack kilo of coffee takes up?), but not nearly enough. She's off to culinary school this week! Always good to have a pastry chef as a best-friend! PS- Sarah, you're moving to Chicago with me no matter what you think! Also saw just enough of my family to prove I was there, but not much more. The wedding turned out beautifully and only started half an hour late. That's nothing. The top of my dress was a little big, but nothing fatal. And I think I ate more cake than anyone else. Hmm, don't think that was supposed to happen. Oh well. Put my seldom-used polka skills to use. But most importantly- congratulations again you guys. I'm glad I could be there to celebrate with you. Will also post pictures. Actually, you'll probably see the pictures first, since they'll be at the top.
Also have decided that I need to move to Chicago no matter what. It's time (or it will be time, in July) to just make a move and take a risk. If that's where I've wanted to be since I was 19, shouldn't I just do it? Thoughts, anyone? Or jobs? Anyone? Job? Please? Claire? Should get more interesting as the time comes closer and the stress level reaches new highs with exams and essays and job searching. oh, the fun.
Halloween mistake of 2004- wearing a slip, and thus freezing to death. When will I learn? (for those of you who don't remember or don't know, Halloween mistake of 2003 was wearing sunglasses inside- another great, well-thought-out Gina idea).
Went out to Luna last night with the greatest GTF friends a girl could ask for- Lakisha and Eliana. Live salsa-ish Cuban music. Band was great, dancing was great, drinks were great (cosmos Lauren, cosmos), company was smashing. When the going gets tough, I guess the tough cry for a while and then go out dancing.
Have learned through a few recent experiences that it's time for me to take better control of my life and just make what I want happen. I am stronger than I think. And maybe even smarter than I think. I can do this. New motto- "Il faut vaincre ou perir"- La Marquise de Merteuil, Les liasons dangereuses.
That's all for now, everyone. Start reading again, I'm going to make blog time as often as I can. Leave comments or email me to pester me about it. I also respond well to bribery.

1 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

oh WOW, gina actually has some postings!!!
cosmos, gina, cosmos. i didn't have to buy any at formal. didn't actually drink at formal - but drank the night before. and hey, it's november, why don't i actually go to a liquor store and buy some??? i know, only, what, uhhhh, (august, september, october, november...), four months late??? and then to top if off, matt & buddy were making fun of my for buying apple pucker instead of everclear. :) ahh, life has resumed to normal - well, it did this weekend, anyway. then everyone left and went back to their respective homes/jobs that don't require living in the dorms. saaaaaaaad.
oh well. and erin and i voted that you shouldn't have gone to oregon. and i'm looking at *gasp* grad schools. in states that aren't wisconsin (except uw-milwaukee ... as a last resort)!! gasp! maybe i'll be back in ohio...or minnesota...or ARKANSAS? or OKLAHHOMA? what??? lol. okay, long comment. yeah. anyway.
talk to you later :)

2:48 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home