mardi, juillet 25, 2006

Everyone in The Devil Wears Prada has better clothes than I do

Let's start with the required fields- Yes, it's very very hot. It is wierd being back after being gone for almost a year, especially in a place that's so different. No, I haven't seen too many people, mostly my parents and Sarah. No, really, it is that hot. I'm still going back to Lyon. And yes, my spelling is somethin' crazy right now. I tried to invent words all through a Scrabble game with mom. She would have none of it.

On to the more fun stuff... I forgot what it was like to get fun mail. Mostly because of the insane cost of postage, I don't get a ton of mail in Lyon (except from Mom and people who insanely want my money, like my cell phone provider and the electricity people). So I rejoice in getting good mail here. Emmy sent me the bestest little owl finger puppet who is anxious to join his comrades for some picture-taking sessions, even if they'll never reach a beginning French class. Then I morphed into overly-spoiled land when I got a Huge.Old.Envelope from Kelli, who I got to know through her wristlet swap. Kelli's wristlet is currently in the "construction" process, but I will say that it involves some knitting needles and some pretty funky buttons. But anyway, Kelli, as always more on the ball than I am, already sent me massive amounts of goodies- a knitting roll (so I can stash my needles in the same place), an adorable bag with polka-dotty accents (and a GIRAFFE tag- you can't really say enough about a person who uses giraffe tags, can you?), new needles, and the arizona-sun inspired wristlet itself, which was filled with great stuff that I attacked. You may be now saying to yourself, "Self, if all of these things are so cool, then why aren't there any pictures?" It is because Gina is too LAZY to take pictures. No seriously, I've taken like 3 since I've been here. And that's pathetic. I promise I will tomorrow. Yeah, tomorrow.

No one has yet laughed out loud, but I know they're all thinking the laughing in their head when I go out in my bermudas and pearls and huge sunglasses. I don't care what you think people- I'M COOL IN FRANCE.

Eating and drinking have been two of my main occupations since arriving here. Notice that "exercise" is absent from this list. Shit yo. But I only have 3 weeks to eat all the Mexican food I can! And my deep dark heart of coal has been showing itself as I've been to Starbucks almost every single day. Baaaaaa. But after that first technicolor drink experience I got scared and have only been drinking iced cofees or lattes. Don't worry, the real coffee drinking has been done in the privacy of my own home or at Le Buzz, the best place I know in Tucson. Every time I come back my parents seem to know more people there. We're gunning for a Le Buzz regular's cafe tour of France. I've offered my apartment for slumber-party-style sleeping. I'll keep you posted on that progress. If you're in the Tucson-area (and if you are why haven't you called me???) you should head on over to the B-line on 4th ave, where my best friend Sarah will be Shtaking over the baking/pastry duties (except the bread) on Wednesday. I've honestly never been, but you know that I will go now. She'll also be doing the desserts for dinner, which I hear is quite good. (note- if this is not true, the person to blame is Heather, who told me so)

While we're on the topic of friends, I feel the need to mention (again?) that Toni is coming on Wednesday night. Yes, this Minnesota girl decided to brave the insane desert heat that is Tucson right now to fly out for a visit. Expect much organized craziness, impromptu photo sessions and general girlie things that boys make fun of. Except Alex. Because he's wonderful. (okok, so he makes fun of me for other things, but not this. So he wins)

It's incredible how Alex and I can finally be in the same time-zone again, but unable to communicate due to the wonderful non-working power of my french cell. It's a complicated techinical thing that I don't understand, but it's easier for us to talk when I'm in France. Biiiiiiizarrrrrrre. I am already tired of this whole separation thing, and I'm not afraid to whine about it. But, on the whole, it's ok, because he's doing what he wanted to do and I'm doing what I want to do. Besides spending time with him. But on peut pas tout avoir, n'est-ce pas? September isn't that far away. I spend more time than I'd care to admit sending him seemingly cute emails that recount nothing of importance, except maybe that day's temperature. Poor guy. When he gets back I'll probably shower him with cupcakes. Ok, so I won't really shower/throw them at him, because that would be a waste of cupcakes, but you get my drift. Between me, the new silicone cupcake pan that FITS in my oven, and the cupcake book there will be NO STOPPING ME. AHAHAHAHA.

Oh Martha Stewart, your cookie of the month does NOT make 3 dozen. Or I just can't correctly identify 3/4 inch. Actually, either option here could be completely true.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Oh yes, the B-line dinner really is that tasty! Every thing I've had so far is good, with the exception of the tortilla soup being quite sour. But seriously, everything else I try to eat too much of until I feel like I might go explodey. And somehow there's still room for dessert. Insane! And according to Fed the milk stout beer they have is amazing, if you're into that sort of thing.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh Gina!

How I wish I was a finger puppet of yours! I want to be around when you say crazy girlie things with Toni.

Can you believe I have not seen you since Halloween of your first year in Oregon?!

And Toni! Haven't seen her since I let the cat out of the bag at graduation!!!! Can't remember which cat I let out, but I remember saying something in front of her family that they weren't supposed to know. Oops.

6:31 AM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

I am so glad you are having a good time at home! I hope your trip back was everything you wanted it to be and then some.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you're cool regardless of the continent you're spending time in. But starbucks? They refuse to make coffee drinks with the fair trade stuff...

3:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

G - It's september, update the blog, yo. We all need to see your latest work/school surroundings and of course what you've been eating/cooking without me.

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

gina...come back. :) we miss you.

4:40 AM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

Are you out there? Never heard from you! Hope you are well.

10:27 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home