jeudi, février 03, 2005

Au lieu de nous ennuyer, avec la geographie

Happy Wednesday night, lovely people. Wednesday night means that I'm madly trying to finish my reading for Thursday's class, which luckily isn't until 4 (in the afternoon, god! I know that the U of O is wonky, but really, who would have class at 4 in the morning?). However, there being a limit on how much Flaubert one person can take at one time, I am taking a break, since my limit has been reached. It's a huge book, and she's having us read passages (since it'll be on my exam reading list, I'll have to read the rest later, but there's just not the time now), which cuts down on the reading, but leaves in its wake a trail of confusion, since we're skipping large parts of the story. Oh well- I'll read the rest soon, and I'm not worried about being able to participate in the discussion, since as you all know, I like to talk.

Today I read in Liz's blog (what? you don't know who Liz is? well, I'll give you a while to think about what you've done, then you can write an essay about it and add it to my teetering pile of grading) that she thinks I should write a column like Carrie on Sex and the City, except about random things. That's the nicest thing I've heard in a while. Thanks Liz! Here's my question- would the shoe collection go along with this job? Because if so, sign me up!

Creating this whole song unit for my class has really made me feel like a "real" teacher. Not that I didn't before, but I made all of this from scratch. It's taken a long time, but the class seems to enjoy it (when they're not giggling at me singing along with "Sacre Charlemagne" or Francoise Hardy). After Dad saved me by sending the France Gall song, I lived out my goal of playing the song in class that I've had foooooorever. In case you're not all up-to-date on your 60s French songs, "Sacre Charlemagne" is basically a song where France Gall sings with a chorus of kids about how they're mad at Charlemagne (remember him? that guy? with the beard?) because he invented school, and they thus have to go to school and work, etc etc. I find this song highly amusing and could listen to it over and over and over. The class thought it was funny, but said that they might possibly be driven crazy having to listen to it more than once. Ha. But still, lots of fun. Friday I'm hopefully doing cover versions, but that's still up in the air. Anyone have a copy of "Poupee de Cire Poupee de Son?" It won Eurovision!

Turns out I don't have to write a final paper for Old French, and Gina's going to work with me to read some Renaissance lit for the exams (it's in, no joke, Middle French- really original with the naming, old French dudes). So really, how could it be better? Wooooonderful! Wow, I'm blabbing about school a lot today. Sorry, everyone.

I'm going through Pieces of April withdrawal. Come back, Pieces of April! I'm sorry I sent you back to the video store! I didn't mean it! It wasn't my choice! Peer pressure! It was peer pressure! Please come back! We can work it out- I'll find time for you and my homework. Help!

And on that note, Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm done.

2 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

charlemagne!! the extent of my charlemagne knowledge is that he said 'war is a science' and they sang an entire song about it, but his son pippin kept interupting and they told him to 'sit down immediately!'
okay, it could just be that i am waaaaaaaaaaaay too much of a music nerd. ;)

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site...
muscle cars alabama debt relief geneva ny second mortgage mobile phonetools version 4.0 software ... gambling master debit card

9:20 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home