samedi, janvier 01, 2005

Goodbye, 2004

Well, I'm ready to say goodbye to 2004. Yes, it's New Year's Eve and I'm writing. That's because I'm staying in, by choice. I just want to get to 2005 already. This hasn't been the best year ever. Don't get me wrong. Good things happened. But there were lots of not-so-good things. I'll do a photo wrap-up after I write this, so you can all get stuff from that. Whatever happened, I made it through. I got to spend time with every member of my immediate family, and some of the more extended part. I met great new people. I lost some great people. I read a lot of books. I saw old friends. I went to three weddings and one funeral. I got closer to my family.

2005 is coming really fast. I'm happy. It's going to be lots of new chances. I'll finish school, again. Get a real job. Move, again. I'm scared, but excited. Steve asked me today what my resolutions were. I guess I have a few big ones- Have a better year; be happy; and take better control of my life. There must be some smaller ones in there, like eat less macaroni and cheese and stuff like that, but I can't think of them right now. Huzzah 2005!

I am in no way qualified to do a "best of 2004" list, so instead I'll subject you to the Gina-list, aka, stuff I liked this year.
Good movies-
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Garden State

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Company
Fans Only, the Belle and Sebastian DVD

Good music (so yeah, I'm out of it musically, so not all of this came out last year)
69 Love Songs, by the Magnetic Fields
Garden State Original Soundtrack
Ok, by Talvin Singh
Wasps Nests, by the 6ths
Smash the System, by Saint Etienne
Live at the Bowlie Weekender, Belle and Sebastian

Good books-
The Hortense books, Jacques Roubaud
The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco
Les Liasons Dangereuses, Laclos
Les Manifestes du surrealisme, Andre Breton
If on a Winter's Night a Traveller, Italo Calvino (not done with it yet, but it deserves a place here, since it's incredible)

And since I got an iPod mini for Christmas (and yes, it's pink. Ha), here are my favorite things on the iPod right now-
The Life Aquatic soundtrack
Keep Fishin', Weezer
Das Model, Kraftwerk
Whip it on, the Raveonettes (also That Great Love sound, which is on their other cd)
Lolly Lolly Lolly get your adverbs here, Schoolhouse Rock
Music for 18 Musicians- Steve Reich

So there, loyal readers. Thanks to everyone who was there for me, checked on me, or made me feel like it was ok. Or to everyone who let me come visit, visited me, or ever brought me chocolate. Thanks to people who showed me new places, introduced me to new things (or other new people) and made me try new things. I know I cried a lot this year, but between the crying I did laugh. And have some good times. Merci beaucoup mes amis, and I'll see you next year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Gina, you rock. I just put in a library request for "If on a Winter Night's Traveler" because it looks awesome. By the way, if you haven't read "Everything is Illuminated," you would probably love it. I also thought of you while watching a French film last night ("Gina wouldn't need these subtitles")--"Nuit et brouillard," from 1955, best thing I've ever seen on the Holocaust. You may have seen it, but if not, you should--there's a Criterion version out on DVD now.

Okay, enough babbling. Have a lovely 2005!
-April

3:41 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home