lundi, avril 11, 2005

I am supposed to be writing my lesson plan!

Look! I am still here! (I am also listening to ABBA, but that is a different story. You may remember the other ABBA references in this blog, which I'm too lazy to link to, which usually indicate utter insanity, and sometimes dancing around in front of buildings on campus. Never fear- that is not happening. I'm just writing this and getting ready to type up le lesson plan. Wow, long digression Gina!). I have been very busy! I have read a lot of books! I just graded papers! They require using a lot of exclamation points! I have not yet fully recovered from that!

But really, I've read a lot. I read every day (which is, yes, normal, but this is higher-than-usual density of reading). The upside to this is that I appear to be retaining the information. I also write it down on little note cards and put it in my cool note-card box full of exam-related goodness. I decorated it with stickers. It's pretty. Actually, I spent some time in the office when I was supposed to be reading decorating it with stickers. But I figure that this may inspire me to study? Or, at least show it to lots of other people and scream "Look what I did!" Seriously guys, there are lots of stickers on this thing. I should take a picture and show all of you so that you can all say "Wow Gina, that's a lot of stickers!" and "Wait, aren't you in grad school, not elementary school?" Back to the reading- to summarize- I have read a lot. I finished Les Regrets (documented in last Sunday's entries), knocked Louise Labe out of the park (elegies and sonnets, check!), and then spent a while with Ronsard (most notably his Amours (aka OBESESSION FOR SOMEONE HE PROBABLY MET ONCE, but no, I'm not bitter)) and then more time figuring out just how much more Ronsard I should read. I also met with my committee, and basically figured out the second question theme (or the main one) which is important because now I can direct the rest of my reading in a more meaningful way. It's not boring, I swear! Except du Bellay. He got pretty boring there at the end.

What else, ummm. Have I mentioned that my class this quarter is wonderful? Because they are. And they think the Amazing Race idea is funny, and laugh. Even though I think most of them missed the Eddie Izzard reference (Thank you for flying Church of England, cake or death? cake please!) (oh, other digression- I'm not playing the iTunes game again, but it just went into Magnetic Fields, so happy, but it reminds me that I really want to see Pieces of April again. If you don't get how that goes together, then you haven't been reading carefully! But anyways, I know that I was supposed to go on some sort of 12-step program to not watch it anymore, but people, I haven't seen this movie in OVER TWO MONTHS! Help! What should I do? )

Last night I went out with my friend Jen. To the zoo! No, not the zoo. We did end up at Indigo District again, but before that we went to.... Sweet Life. She had never been- how is that possible? Sweet Life is a dessert place (they actually use the word patisserie, which any good French student can tell you is a bakery specializing in sweet things, as opposed to a boulangerie, which is more for bread. I mean, you can usually get bread at a patisserie, but you can't at Sweet Life. ) that's actually open pretty late (11pm) by Eugene standards and that is WONDERFUL. Seriously, wonderful. Since Jen had never experienced the wonder that is Sweet Life, this was an important trip. I used my incredible mental skills to direct us there (actually, I used their website and Mapquest, since i had sort of forgotten the cross-streets and only knew an approximate location) and the Jen beheld, for the first time, the wonderful cases of cakes. There are other things, but cases of cakes sounds best. These are serious cakes. We had one slice of raspberry lemon-poppyseed and one of chocolate orange mousse cake. I wish I had pictures, but I forgot. Whoops. (ps- if you click on the Whoops you can go to their website). This was very good cake, but really rich and really big. If you're ever in Eugene, go to Sweet Life. Actually, if you're in Eugene, why haven't you called me? Aren't you supposed to be my friends? Unless you're stealth readers. Are there any stealth readers? Cause that would be cool! Find stealth readers, people!

Hmm, I just used my "type up lesson plan and make overheads" time to update this. Way to go, Gina. But one last thing- we're teaching this short story 'Voyage Circulaire" in class all week. It's by Zola. You know how I feel about Zola. Why? Why oh why do I have to teach Zola now? I think that this is the 19th century's way of getting back at me for making fun of it so much last quarter (and, frankly, a lot in the past as well). "Take that Gina!" says the 19th century. "You thought you could escape, but now we're giving you Zola to give to your students too! Aaaaahahah!" (that was maniacal realism laughter, if you couldn't tell).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Hey, wondertwin. I carried a little tiny first aid kit with me for a while, which I eventually decided was a waste of space because it contained, like, a hair tie and a handi-wipe and three Clifford band-aids, none of which I ever used. But the real reason I liked it was because I covered the box with stickers and I got to show it off to people.

And yet - we are real, live grownups, aren't we? Or something like that?

11:10 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home