jeudi, septembre 09, 2004

Parents! Eugene!

Hi, it's me again. Remember me? The one who promised to post more? Whoops.

Anyway, thank you so much to everyone who called or wrote with birthday wishes! I had such a wonderful day, and I think I got more calls in that one day than I usually do in a week. Hee. My parents' visit was also great and very busy (which is why I couldn't post or return lots of phone calls for a while). They arrived on Saturday, and after visiting my apartment (and not looking in all my drawers and closets, thank goodness), we headed on over to the Eugene Saturday Market and Farmer's market. Such a beautiful day. Parents were awed by amount of produce available at market (which is pretty stunning). They saw Saturday Market in its full glory and mom went crazy at this beautiful hand-painted tile booth (our house in Tucson is now going to be adorned with scenes of Oregon!). We also discovered some new stores (rather, stores I hadn't been to) in downtown Eugene, including a cool little paper store, where parents, being parents, stocked up on cards which they will promptly put away and forget. Hee. Had coffee at Italian coffee-shop (is it Perugia or Perugina? Help?), returned home to drop off all the goodies and went for a walk by the river followed by an INCREDIBLE dinner at the Red Agave (mine came complete with cocktail wonders from favorite-bartender-ever Jeff).

The next day we headed up to Portland and started the day with croissants at Ken's Artisan Bakery. They. Make. Macaroons. The. French. Ones. Gina. Very. Happy. We putzed around town, I got part of my book list at Powell's, etc etc. Shopping ensued, and dinner at my favorite Portland restaurant, SouthPark. We also saw this huge wedding (with all the guests) walk by, following a bagpiper. Beautiful.

Monday, aka Labor Day, aka my birthday (!) we went out to the Oregon Coast (Florence to be exact). It's so wonderful and amazing there. Both parents were shocked at how beautiful it really is, and not at all what you'd expect. Anyone who visits Oregon definately needs to go. We also spent some time in old-town Florence, getting the requisite salt-water-taffy (yuuuuum) and me buying the remainder of Mike's birthday gift (!) Birthday dinner was at Gina-popular Cafe Lucky Noodle, in Eugene, where, even though we had the bizarre waiter (again!) we had a good night. Theeeeeeeeen mom and dad surprised me with a cake (yay!) and the coolest birthday present ever- my very own food processor!!!!!!!!! Now, I know what you're thinking- what kind of present is that? The exact present I wanted, actually. I dropped not-so-subtle hints FOREVER and now the Cuisinart is all mine! Huzzah! Best. Parents. Ever. Hands down.

Tuesday the parentals finally saw the U of O, sans students. Their entire trip was accomodated by the weather gods with spectacular weather, and this day was no exception. We did run into a few former-Gina-students (including Katie giving a tour-hee!) which was funny for them. We did all the "this is my school" things, then a Target and Trader Joe's run (yumyumyum) and dinner at Beppe and Gianni's, one of the first places my mom and I ate in Eugene a year ago.

So, yeah, their visit was great. A lot better than I expected, too. I was sad when they left, but then realized that I'll see them in 6 weeks when I go to Tucson for Heather's wedding. And now I'm also finally the same age as the rest of my friends. Yay me! Pictures to follow...