jeudi, mars 03, 2005

myth 4- American appliances don't work in European outlets

Guys, I'm supposed to be reading Le lys rouge (or as Steve calls it, the red lice (another parentheses to indicated that that's not the real translation, just a joke)) right now. Instead I've been cruising food blogs, Television without pity, and checking my email. This is not good, people! We're halfway through week 9 and here I am reading about food and the Amazing Race. Ooooooh, where has my motivation gone? Does it matter that I'm seriously thinking about making a sign that says "I DON'T CARE" and taking it everywhere with me to hold up when I see fit (note to Claire- this would be similar to the Whore Tube, but you know, different).

Speaking of food and the Amazing Race, last night the amazing Emily came over to do work and eat nachos (yum! nachos!) and then I made her watch the premiere of the new Amazing Race with me. I am such an addict. The show was good, but one of the best parts was the Travelocity Trave Gnome commercial (s, there were actually 2). Hee. I don't even know how to describe this, but it was so funny that I cound't speak for a while (similar to when one of my students told me that I could defend the class against a monkey attack). This has now taken the cupcake as "favorite commercial" or at least up there with the Gladys Knight rugby bank commercial. You may think that with all this talk of the Race that is Amazing and commercials that I am a tv addict. This just isn't true! Keep in mind that i do lots and lots of homework (oh shit! I need to read l'Heptameron! Note to self, read Heptameron) and teach and grade and grade and live by myself. Just as all roads lead to Rome, all of these signs lead to me watching tv. I don't have cable, so that's good. But really, sometimes after a long day of work, all you want to do is curl up under the quilt on the couch and watch Alias (oh, that's tonight. And this has obviously, as previously mentioned, not been a long day of work).

My dad bought me two round cake pans while he was here, and now I want to make a cake. Well, that and I've been reading the aforementioned food blogs. Not that I've ever made a cake before. And two pans would imply two layers which would imply frosting. Is that the proper use of the word "imply?" But I really want to try, so I could say that I made a cake. (famous Mom quote- "I made a cake. It's in the garage.") Anyone want to come and make a cake with me? Because making a cake and then eating it all yourself is just depressing.

Mes amis, j'ai un probleme. Quel est ton probleme, Gina, you ask? Voila mon probleme. I know that I want to work in arts outreach. I can feel it. It's what I want to do (not get a PhD in French, in case you didn't catch that before). But I also really want to go overseas for a long period of time. I feel like something's missing from me and that might bring it back, or find it period. I have no clue how this would work, where I'd go, if I'd go alone, where the money would come from, or anything (or as Mom asked, what I would do with my furniture- what kind of a question is that?) But I feel like I need this. I need to figure out what I'm good at, and take some chances. My family seems to be against the chances thing. Now they're even going back on my idea to move to Chicago no matter what, saying that I should only go where I can find a job. Note to family- this does not help! I feel so run-of-the-mill, and non-special. I'm also tired of working and working and having no one care, so I think it's time to do something for me. Anyone want to go to Europe?

I don't want to end on that bummer note, though. Happy things include- the ginormous Portland International Film Festival poster currently being flattened out on my table, the fact that I still have the yum peanut butter and chocolate yummies, the fact that I don't have class until 4 tomorrow, and Belle and Sebastian.

Ok, now i really have to go read that book. Really. And by really, I mean not fall asleep on my couch while reading, but actually read and finish said book. Eep!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

I'm going to Europe on Saturday!

e

3:44 AM  
Blogger ET said...

Baking a cake is fun! as is going to Europe. if I had the choice, I'd go to Europe and bake a cake there.... anyway...

as far as frosting goes, I've learned 2 v. important things: let your cakes cool for a while... 10 minutes is not enough. and Make sure your frosting isn't too thin. When you don't do either of these, then the hot cake falls only worsens the thin frosting scenario and you end up with a mess... personal experience talking here. If you're nervous about making your own frosting buy some. :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger ET said...

whoops i didn't double check what i wrote there. I was thinking two different things there. the hot cake only worsens the frosting scenario and/or it falls apart.

the personal experience being: if the cake does split apart, say in half, don't use your very runny frosting/icing to try and fill the crack. as stated. it doesn't work.
:-D

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

There's nothing wrong with reading about food online as long as it results in the cooking of new and tasty foods. If you don't think you'd be totally happy in chicago just yet, then you should probably do what makes you happen instead. Of course the no money problem and where to go/stay could be an issue. Maybe work somewhere for a year and save up, and then go to europe as a between jobs thing? I'm sure there's a way to go and survive in Europe for a while w/out a lot of cash... a lot of people our age are able to do that.
Oh and I'd totally come to Eugene and bake a cake and then go to europe. I would suggest baking cakes in europe and selling them, but I think there's pleanty of people there that already do that. Damn, I didn't come up with anything crazy in my comment. Hug!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

There's nothing wrong with reading about food online as long as it results in the cooking of new and tasty foods. If you don't think you'd be totally happy in chicago just yet, then you should probably do what makes you happen instead. Of course the no money problem and where to go/stay could be an issue. Maybe work somewhere for a year and save up, and then go to europe as a between jobs thing? I'm sure there's a way to go and survive in Europe for a while w/out a lot of cash... a lot of people our age are able to do that.
Oh and I'd totally come to Eugene and bake a cake and then go to europe. I would suggest baking cakes in europe and selling them, but I think there's pleanty of people there that already do that. Damn, I didn't come up with anything crazy in my comment. Hug!

7:45 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home